Monday, May 18, 2015

Modern Maples - DWM

It's Monday and I have a flimsy finish! And a few news items to share :)

The New Quilt Bloggers blog hop is going to be hosted by several bloggers that participated in the hop last year. I participated last year and have to say, I learned SO much about how to make my blog more visually pleasing, blogging in general and most importantly, I made some very special friendships during that hop that remain strong today, long after the hop. If your blog is under two years old, I strongly recommend that you consider signing up to participate in this hop! Click on the icon to be taken to Yvonne's site, Quilting Jetgirl, for more information. Sign up is open now!! Don't miss out on this fabulous opportunity!

https://quiltingjetgirl.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/2015-new-quilt-bloggers-button-300px.png

And, the 2015 Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative side is in full swing! You can read more about my entries here and here. If you haven't linked up, I encourage you to do so! This online quilt show is a feast for the eyes and a great way to find new quilty friends and great blogs! You can link up until May 21st. What are you waiting for? Jump in and have fun!! The Viewer's Choice voting is going on now through May 21st. Voting in each category begins May 22.

OK, OK, I know what about the flimsy??? :) Before I show the pictures, I just want to say that putting this one together seemed to take forever (Remember, I said I'd have it finished a week ago??? Yeah #1 fan, I know you do!) because I could not decide on a layout. Then when I thought I had it all figured out. . . I also figured out I did not have enough background fabric. And back to the design wall I would go. . . Right, the pictures ;)





Did you look at the pictures and think "Meh, it's ok. . . I don't know if I like it" . . . I did. I looked at it for an entire day. Moved the leaves around a bit. I told my husband it looked scattered. He agreed and may have insinuated this was not his favorite quilt. That's his pragmatic way of telling me he does not like it! LOL And then I decided I really like it! Falling leaves. Scattered leaves. Yup, that's what it looks like! Mission accomplished ;) I sent a picture to Sandra, here's what she said "I gazed at it for some time, because to be honest at first I thought hmm, I'm not so sure...but then the more I looked at it, the more it made my eyes wander all over (something I always like in a quilt) and I realized that there is no pattern. The leaves are blowing around ( I like the little swirl in the upper right) much like they do in nature. And I like that! I like that it's not matchy matchy and that your eyes roam trying to FIND that but they won't. I like the blue leaves too!" Exactly!! :) 

I ordered wide backing for it and that should get here on Tuesday. . . that might be a bit of wishful thinking. . . it will likely show up on Wednesday. I was hoping to get this one quilted by Friday, that's probably not realistic. . . sometimes being realistic is overrated! :) 

Linking up with Beth over at Cooking Up Quilts for MCM and Patchwork Times for DWM. Hop over and see what everyone else is doing! 

While I wait for the backing for this one and for Nod to Gees Bend, I am back to quilting on the rose linen. I spread it out to see where I was with it yesterday. . . Being away from it for three weeks has not been helpful! I did a little more ripping, a lot of studying staring at it trying to figure out what my plan was and now I am ready to  go! Today and tomorrow (provided the backing does not arrive) I will be happily quilting :)

Until next time, keep on quilting!
Follow on Bloglovin

18 comments:

  1. Very cute flimsy, I like how the leaves are all random.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice top; I like the random falling leaves. It's what leaves do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No "meh!" reaction here! I liked it at first glance. I know you'll be adding some stunning quilting too to kick it up anopther notch :) I'll stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very bright, but I really like it and I like that the leaves are falling. And it will change once again when you add some creative quilting to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The top turned out wonderful! I like the idea of the leaves scattering in the wind. I am sure you will come up with quilting that will enhance and contribute to that theme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the swirl in the upper right hand corner, too - it was the first thing that drew me into the quilt top! Thanks for the announcement about the blog hop this year, I look forward to seeing how this year's group shapes up. And have fun with the linen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks great, plus I know your FMQ is going to add a lot of movement to this quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you know what they saw about great minds, lol. And I just happen to know right now that you WON'T be quilting on the linen because BackSide Fabrics (LOVE their name, reminds me of the "Fat Bottomed Girls" song, lol) delivered in spades, so now you will be a quilting demon on MM! And thanks, or not, for the new online fabric shop to tempt me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how the leaves swirl around, and that background fabric is killer! Love it. I always get so antsy waiting for fabric to come to my door - hopefully you'll get yours soon. Thanks for linking up to Main Crush Monday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the layout! I agree with not keeping it organized. Can't wait to see the quilting on this one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I liked it at first glance - the colors are so pretty, and the background really makes those colors "rich" !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how it looks. I think the layout is perfect for the swirling pattern. (I would call it "swirling," in case you were looking for suggestions.) I know I say this a lot, but I really look forward to seeing how you quilt it. Something resembling wind, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice finish! I like the texture and richness in the colours. I can see how that looks like scattered leaves. My eyes definitely look for a pattern at first too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Judy, I love Sandra's words and she is exactly right! Sometimes our mates are going to ponder a quilt and think about it as much as another quilting friend will - so it sure helps to have buddies for feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the bright leaves and if it is windy fall weather, won't they be scattered? Quilting is all logic. Ha ha ha...
    One more question for you - if you blog everyday, when do you sew/quilt???

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the blue and definitely the swirling feeling is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know. I'll wait until you get it quilted, lol. For now it's too random for my OCD color sorting problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooooo...I like this. The bright colors and the randomness are great.
    Penny M

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile :) Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Come back real soon!

If you left me a comment, I will be responding in kind either by email and/or by visiting your blog and commenting on your wonderful creation :)